The Importance of Enrichment
Enrichment is a key component of a healthy and happy dog’s life that, unfortunately, is missing for many dogs. Many studies, especially those conducted by zoos, have shown that enriching an animal’s environment improves the psychological and physical well-being of animals. There are countless ways to enrich a dog’s life and creative feeding is a quick and easy way to make a big difference. Enrichment doesn’t have to be expensive and different dogs will enjoy different activities.
- Scatter feeding - Toys full of material - Hand feeding
- Freezing food - Vegetables - Herbs and spices
- Kongs - Sand pits - Mechanical feeders
- Wobble Kongs - Paddle pools - Puzzle feeders
- Snuffle mats - Muffin trays - Plastic bottles
- Hiding food “find it” - Ball pits - At home agility
- Rolled up towels - Noseworks - Bubbles
- Piping - Dog sports - Toilet rolls
- Scent training - Tunnels - Walks – sniffing!
- Social activities - Lure and fishing pole toys - Hide and seek
- Companionship - Be creative! - Canine Enrichment – Facebook